More and more people are opting for and discovering the benefits of non surgical cosmetic procedures that involve the use of injectable dermal fillers and toxins, as well as minimally invasive procedures that involve newer techniques like laser – all of which can yield comparable results to traditional plastic surgery and make such treatments much more attractive.
The benefits of non surgical treatments are many. Minimally and non invasive procedures can restore a youthful and vibrant look while posing fewer risks and incurring fewer costs than surgical cosmetic procedures. Moreover, many of these procedures involve less pain, less scarring, and have little to no downtime, which means they can be done in the doctor’s office on an outpatient basis and you can go home or even back to work soon after your session is over. This explains why researchers claim that by 2019 people will spend almost $200 billion on anti-aging treatments – highlighting the upward trajectory of non invasive cosmetic procedures trends for the foreseeable future.
The Most Popular Non Surgical Cosmetic Treatments
Much of this money will be spent on a variety of treatments, all meant to quickly, safely and affordably enhance and improve the appearance of skin, lips, contours, wrinkles, lines, creases, and/or scars. Following are some of the most popular treatments available today.
- Botox, which is purified botulinin toxin, is at the top of the list of minimally invasive cosmetic procedures of 2016. Botox is injected into your skin to soften the look of fine lines and wrinkles. It works by temporarily paralyzing the muscle beneath the wrinkle, which causes the wrinkle to smooth out.
- Dermals fillers, like Juvederm or Restylane, are injected by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon beneath the patient’s skin to add volume to flat, dry areas, like lips and cheeks. Dermal fillers also soften and diminish the appearance of facial creases and smooth wrinkles. Dermal fillers are also among the top 5 minimally invasive cosmetic procedures of 2016.
- Photofacial, IPL treatments corrects the look of hyperpigmentation, blemishes and scars by emitting pulses of computer-controlled light. Each pulse has a different wavelength, and targets problems in the lower levels of the skin while leaving the upper levels untouched and stimulating new collagen.
- Micro-needling, or collagen induction therapy, involves tiny micro-punctures in the skin, in a very controlled manner to stimulate the body into producing fresh skin and collagen. It is used to repair acne scars, enlarged pores, stretch marks and hyperpigmentation.
Fractional laser skin resurfacing is used to improve the appearance of skin. During treatment, a laser emits very precise high-energy light that ultimately vaporizes target areas of skin, causing new supple skin growth. In another type of fractional laser skin resurfacing, the skin is not destroyed/vaporized but rather tightened.
- Chemical peels use solutions such as phenol or glycolic acid to remove aged or damaged top layers of skin. They can be superficial, moderate or deep. Superficial peels give the skin a smoother feel and a brighter looking complexion. Medium peels are used to correct complexions that are dull and rough from sun damage. It also works on light wrinkles and age spots. A deep peel is for skin that is severely sun-damaged, deeply wrinkled and mottled.
Choosing a Good Plastic Surgeon and the Right Treatment
When choosing a plastic surgeon, patients should always look for important qualifications: A qualified plastic surgeon must have completed medical school, including a completed residency in plastic surgery, and should have hospital privileges. Above all else, he or she should be Board Certified and have experience in the procedure or treatment that you seek.
There are a multitude of non surgical treatments available to prospective patients, but choosing the right one should always involve an open and honest discussion with a qualified plastic surgeon. During your consultation with the surgeon you should feel confident that your surgeon understands your motivations and concerns when it comes to any cosmetic procedure. The doctor should also outline what results you can expect to see and are realistic. He or she may determine that a different treatment may achieve your desired result. Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon Dr. Grewal believes that a good surgeon should welcome any and all questions you have about your treatment, and tailor the treatment to a patient’s unique needs, objectives, health, and body.